Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Caring Bridge Journal Entry Seventeen

Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:35 PM, PST
We're home!
19 days after her first surgery and 10 days since being admitted into the pediatric intensive care unit at Doernbecher for a life threatening infection . . . the Fast family is home.

Even though this is probably the 43rd time sitting on the couch watching Tangled together, it feels like it is the first.

Those of you that know us well know that Grace was a miracle baby to begin with. After struggling with my own health issues since I was a teenager, having children was not a guarantee. We waited a long time for this girl, and as I sit here cuddling up to her I am reminded of just how lucky we are.

Since the vulnerability door has already been opened, I have to admit that these past few years have been a struggle for us- well me especially- because being the perfectionist I am I thought all would not be well until we had the whole 2 1/2 kids, a dog, and a white picket fence scenario. I had preconceived notions of what a "family" consisted of, and in all honesty I lived every moment in the future. It's no joke, that saying: "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans.".

I promise from here on out to not take my miracle for granted-- to try to live every moment in the NOW. And I know that my one child has enough love, life, and intensity in her to captivate my heart forever.

What's more, I realize that family is so much more than the box I was putting it in. My mom pointed out that there have been over 2,000 visits to this site.

That is over 2,000 people loving us, praying for us, crying with us, and celebrating with us. Now what other girl is lucky enough to have a "family" that big?

It's amazing how clearly you see things after you have been slapped across the face with them. To those of you who have been visiting us here and supporting us through this time: We love you. It is all of you- our big family- that make this life worth living.

Love,
Gracie, Amy, and Greg.

No comments: